Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Aubrey's Rocks

Not only does Aubrey have a rock collection, but I've realized something else recently. Right now, I am her rock. When she was about two years old, she really made me feel like she didn't need me. I dropped her off places, she'd say, "Bye, Mom!" and just walk on inside. When it was time to get her, she would hide and not want to come home. This happened for church nursery, and play dates, and all the times she was dropped off when I had to visit Charlie in ICU. I started to think that she was just so independent that she didn't really care if I was there. Of course, I always would be there, but even at two, she didn't need it. Lately I've been noticing how much she really does need me.
At the beginning of her pre-school year, there was a day when I was late picking her up. Aubrey was so sad. "Mommy, did you forget me?" I felt so bad! I tried really hard not to be late again. Lately, when I go to relief society meetings (which we now call them) she really has a hard time when I leave without her. She's told me that she doesn't like it when I go to church without her or really, anywhere without her. That mommy should just stay home and has to always be home or she needs to be coming with me. I try to tell her that just like she likes to go to her friends house, I like to go places too. I don't always go with her, and she doesn't always come with me. She doesn't like it though.
Yesturday she asked me if I'm going to go to work. I asked her if she wanted me to. "No. You need to stay home."
I've realized that Aubrey is a very strong independent girl. But she can't be that girl without her foundation at home. Someday she will be strong on her own, but today, we'll be the rock together.

No comments: